Sunday, 7 September 2014

Review: Frigid by J.Lynn/Jennifer L Armentrout

Hello Everyone!

I have a new review (or rant) for you!

Title: Frigid

Author: J.Lynn/Jennifer L Armentrout

Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary

Add on Goodreads

Buy on Amazon

Buy on BookDepository

Author Website

Goodreads Synopsis:
For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. 

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. 

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

Review

This review does contain spoilers as I feel as though I need to explain why I really did not like this book, which includes the ending.

I want to start by saying that I am a huge fan of Jennifer L Armentrout. She is a lovely person and a wonderful writer and I adore her Lux and Covenant YA series as well as enjoying her adult (or it may be new adult, I’m not 100% sure) first Gamble Brothers book.  But I just didn’t connect with Frigid at all. To be honest for the most part I hated it, which surprised me so much because the concept really seemed like something I would enjoy.

But then I was introduced to Sydney, the main female character, and everything went down hill from there.

I just did not like Sydney at all! I found her whiny and annoying which was a shame because I have been looking for a new adult contemporary leading female which I loved since many have been bothering me lately. But Sydney stepped it up a notch. I couldn’t connect with her or even sympathise with her situation and often wanted to shake some sense into her. All she seemed to be doing stating that if Kyler (the male lead character) ever found out she loved him their friendship would be over, and complaining that Kyler is such a man-whore and could never commit but also how incredibly hot and sexy he was.

YAWN!

For me Kyler was a better character. Even though he wasn’t the best male lead,  I could deal with him. He was why my rating is 1.5 stars and not just 0.5. Kyler was described in a good manner so I did feel as though I was rooting for him to be happy in the end (but not to be with Sydney). He did treat Sydney like glass though, which did not endear me at all.

One thing I do have to say which is positive is that JLA/J. Lynn can definitely write great sexy scenes! These scenes were definitely a plus to an otherwise boring book for me. However they seemed a bit much for a new adult book, more towards an adult book.

I have to say, plot-wise, Frigid was extremely predictable. The suspense around who was targeting Kyler and Sydney could have been an added element to the story bringing it to another level but I guessed that it was a boyfriend/ex-boyfriend of one of Kyler’s conquests towards the beginning. And even if I hadn’t it was like getting shot at and have generator wires cut when it was freezing temperatures wasn’t even really in the minds of our leads. Those aspects just felt like they were thrown in for the hell of it.

All together I just did not like this book and would not recommend it, and I will not be reading the sequel.


1.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. From this review and a few others I've seen, I probably won't be picking up this one but I do still really want to read her Lux series (which I've heard fantastic things about!) I guess there are some books out there which just don't work for whatever reason, and it's good to see someone's honest opinion. Thanks for sharing Pavan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love her Lux series so I would definitely recommend picking it up! But yes, this one just wasn't the right for for me. Thank you for the lovely comment and for visiting Eugenia!

      Delete