Saturday, 13 September 2014

DNF Review: Eyes of the Woods by Eden Fierce

Hi Everyone!

Today I have a review for my first Did Not Finish book of 2014!

Title: Eyes of the Woods

Author: Eden Fierce

Publisher: Wordsmith Publicity

Add on Goodreads

Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:
Eris Helgren knew her life was about to end. A daughter of the Priory--a generations-old family who protected their territories from nightwalkers--Eris was strong and independent. But on her birthday, her father would announce her betrothal. A year later, she would be forced to marry.

What Eris didn’t know was that the very beings she hunted were watching her, and that being tamed wasn’t what would kill her after all. 

In a land where the woods were forbidden and the laws meant life, Eris will have to make a decision that could bring peace between enemies, or war among friends

Review

Spoilers Ahead

It’s been a while since I have read a young adult book about vampires and from the Goodreads description of Eyes of the Woods had me intrigued. Sadly the blurb was the only intriguing part of the story for me. I had to put this book down at 50% and I can’t see me picking it up again.

For the most part the writing wasn’t entirely terrible-it just wasn’t that great either. Nothing really stood out for me. There was no POP in the writing to draw me in at all and I found myself wandering off in my head, thinking about what other things I could be doing other than reading this story (Blasphemy, I know!).  

In all honestly, the actual story of EofW bored me in itself. I could not connect to anything or anyone in any way, shape or form. Eris, the main character was dull. She was being hunted and had an impending betrothal on the way yet I still couldn’t sympathise with her at all. I wanted to reach into the book to shake her at times just to make things interesting! All these things are happening to Eris and I’m just sitting there reading with a bland look on my face seriously hoping the book would pick up soon.

And then there is Daniel who is the love interest and I was not swooning or even the slightest but intrigued by him at all, although I didn’t get up to any kissing bits so maybe they were done well and I just didn’t read it.

The world building was so slow. Usually I stay up late at night to keep reading-during this book I fell asleep. EARLY. I actually skipped pages and could still follow along with the story BECAUSE NOTHING HAD HAPPENED!

You are probably wondering why I stuck with Eyes of the Woods for so long, I mean I made it to 50%. Well I felt bad because I had a lot of university work to get through so I felt that maybe I wasn’t connecting because I was a bit distracted. I kept going because I wanted to give this book the best chance.

Overall I commend Eden Fierce for writing a novel at such a young age (I believe this novel was published when she was 14), however I do feel that this was a tedious book to get through and it may be a while before I pick up anything by this author again.

*I received this book from Wordsmith Publicity in exchange for my honest review*




2 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything about vampires since the Twilight series, and although I've seen this book around, I don't think I'll be picking it up either. It's good to be honest in reviews, and I think we've all come across a book at least once that we just couldn't finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of vampire books since Twilight which I have enjoyed which is great but this one just wasn't for me. I would recommend passing on this one. Thank you for visiting Eugenia, I love your comments!

      Delete