Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Hi Everyone!!

I was beyond excited to see this book in my mailbox yesterday! I was stroking the cover all the way through reading this book.

Title: Ugly Love

Author: Colleen Hoover

Publisher: Simon and Schuster Australia

Add on Goodreads

Buy on Amazon

Buy on BookDepository

Author Website

Goodreads Synopsis:
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly

Review
I just finished Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover around half an hour ago. I could have started this review then but I couldn’t really concentrate as I was crying. Ugly crying. Because that is what will happen to you if you read this book. There is no escaping it (unless you are a person who doesn’t find this book sad enough to cry-which is fine, to each their own). I have literally just finished cleaning my glasses which were fogged up and had tear stains on them because I didn’t even have time to take them off before the tears started running down my cheeks…And that wasn’t even the first time I cried because of this book.

Now you are probably thinking, “well does this crazy girl like this book or not?!” and I have to say that  I LOVED this book, in fact loved is not a strong enough word to encompass all my feelings regarding this book. Ugly Love made me feel every emotion possible. I laughed, I grew angry, I was frustrated, I was inspired, I was set on fire because Colleen Hoover knows how to write the sexy situations so damn well, and I was heartbroken in the most excruciating way possible-and yet I still kept reading. Because that is the beauty of this book, you need to read it all to the end, you HAVE to find out what happens in the end because you are so invested in these characters, in their lives.

"When life gives you lemons, make sure you know whose eyes you need to squeeze them in."

Colleen Hoover has a way with words that just sucks you right in from the very beginning. I kid you not; this was the very first sentence in my copy of the novel “Somebody stabbed you in the neck, young lady”.  What an opening, right? And it doesn’t let up after that! Also, there is a certain fluidity I have come to expect from a Colleen Hoover book and I feel Ugly Love has blown it all out the water. The lyrical, poetic aspect of this book makes it really shine and sticks with the reader days after they have finished the last page. I know it will be sticking with me.

"Sometimes not speaking says more than all the words in the world."

Both Tate Collins (our leading lady) and Miles Archer (our leading male) were such amazing characters to read about. No flaw was left hidden about them, which I thought was fantastic. Tate is a career driven woman who moves in with her older brother Corbin to hopefully be able to concentrate on her studies. She does not, however, expect Miles to be her new neighbor-and a close friends of Corbin’s. I really enjoyed Tate’s character because she wasn’t afraid to take a chance with someone like Miles. She is a very strong-willed character who may have originally shied away from her feelings for Miles (for good reason) she ultimately let herself feel and stood her ground.

"I suppose if a man lived through the ugliest side of love, he might never want to experience it again."

For me it’s Miles who really stole the show in Ugly Love. His chapters were written in the point of view of his eighteen year old self. We were going through his situation as if it was happening at the same time as the rest of the story. I cannot comprehend the amount of pain within certain chapters of this book.  Then in the present day chapters in Tate’s POV we see the Miles now and I just wanted to reach into the book and give him the biggest hug because he needed it. I loved the way Miles’ POV chapters were set out; it was quite different to what I have read before so it was refreshing.

"God gives us the ugliness so we don't take the beautiful things in life for granted."

I have to talk about the side characters here for a second. Corbin was a sweet, yet overprotective brother. But his heart was in the right place so I forgave him for that. The Captain though is one of my favourite characters. His witty one-liners would make such an impact on the story and he was just a fabulous character! (I’m not going to mention the special person from Miles’ past as I feel that I would go into too much detail and spoil something!)

Ugly Love has to be my favourite Colleen Hoover book as of yet. Her writing has grown stronger with each book she has written and now I am anxiously awaiting my next trip to the bookstore (when I have money) to buy myself a copy of Maybe Someday. And I think we should rename this book Ugly Cry, and give out free tissues with every purchase of this book.

I would just like to give a little shout out to the CoHorts group on Facebook, they are truly wonderful fans of Colleen Hoover and it is an honour to be a part of that community!

*Update: I went to bed after writing this (around 10.30pm) but actually couldn’t get to sleep until at least 3am, and then I woke up and immediately thought of Ugly Love again! This book really stays with you.

This book has an off the charts rating from me!


I received a copy of this book from Simon and Schuster Australia in return for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment