Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Review: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

Hi Everyone!

I've decided to start bringing my reviews over from when I was only reviewing on Goodreads, hope you all enjoy! Keep in mind these would be my earliest reviews ;)

Title: Pushing The Limits

Author: Katie McGarry

Publisher: HarlequinTeen Australia

Add on Goodreads

Buy on Amazon

Buy on BookDepository

Author Website

Goodreads Synopsis:

So wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Review

Sometimes a book completely comes and sweeps you off your feet and that for me was Pushing the Limits. I expected this book to be good but it completely exceeded my expectations. To say I fell in love with Pushing the Limits would be an extreme understatement!

First of all the cover: I LOVE IT! It’s so sexy and real. It completely showcases the chemistry between Echo and Noah we see within the book. The way that they are isolated is like they are in their own world when they are together and everything seems to fade out. Great choice as the cover

Our main character, Echo Emerson, is a traumatized girl. She can’t remember what happened at her visit to her bipolar mother’s house that left her in scars and her mother with a restraining order. With all of this swirling around her, Echo is still grieving for her brother Aires who died while serving in Afghanistan. I felt for Echo so much! Through her points of view in the story I really connected with her and admired her for all the tough decisions she has to make and go through. Katie McGarry really emphasised Echo's journey from being a person who hid behind her scars (that she ultimately covered up) to a person who stood up for herself.

Noah Hutchins is a bad boy; however this isn’t the full picture. Noah is a protective older brother who loves fiercely though not that often. The way he cares for his brothers and his reaction to Echo truly shows the real Noah. He has scars of his own, from the fire that took his parents and also from a foster care parent. All of this combined with his brothers taken from him, no wonder his isn’t the model of perfection! Noah tugged on all my heart strings until they sang. I related to Noah on a strong level because I have a younger brother that I would do absolutely anything for as well. 

Their relationship grew from a bond of trust, to a friendship, which soon blossomed into love. The beautiful glide through each stage showcased Echo and Noah’s similarities and differences whist portraying every reason for why they should be together. The twists and turns due to each characters family/home life strengthened the relationship so far that it seemed like nothing could tear them apart. 

The side characters played such an important role within the story. Isaiah, I have to say I have a bit of a crush on you! Isaiah and Beth helped Noah through all the hard times and proved that water could be every bit as thick as blood! Lila, for me, was Echo’s rock (or at least the main one till Noah came along). She stood up for Echo, comforted her and also gave it to her straight which can sometimes be hard to here. Mrs. Collins is just one of those characters that you can see truly mean well and help everyone they can, one of my favourite side characters!

Pushing The Limits has bumped itself up to be one of my all-time favourite books! I will re-read Echo and Noah’s story forever, along with any other Katie McGarry book to come along! 5 out of 5 stars!


This review copy was provided by HarlequinTEEN, Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't invested the time in a Katie McGarry book except for her short Red At Night story. I've heard she creates amazing and realistic characters, which is a huge positive. So glad you loved this book Pavan, your review truly makes me want to pick it up asap!

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! I would definitely recommend Katie McGarry books to everyone who loves YA contemporary romance. Thank you for visiting :)

      Delete