Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Review: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Hi Everyone!

Today I am very happy to share this review with you. This book is definitely a favourite of 2014 for me.


Title: The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy #1)

Author: Marie Rutkoski

Publisher: Bloomsbury Publisher

Add To Goodreads
Buy On Amazon
Buy On Book Depository
Buy On Dymocks

Goodreads Synopsis:
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

Review


The Winner’s Curse is an amazing tale full of intrigue with characters who will melt your heart.

How do you review a book that left you without words when you finished? That is The Winner’s Curse for me. All I want to say in this review is OMG THAT WAS AMAZING. WHAT DID I JUST READ? THIS BOOK IS FABULOUS. BUY THIS BOOK NOW.

My thoughts surrounding this book are still crazy even though I read it a while ago. Therefore this is not really coherent review this book, so bear with me.

Can I just say that the cover for this book is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING? I can honestly say that I have stroked the cover-and I am not even ashamed of it. And I would have killed for that dress for my year 12 formal last year.

Author Marie Rutkoski has an extraordinary way with words that allows the reader to be fully immersed into the world of Herran without overloading the information.  And the world of Kestrel and Arin, our two leading characters, is amazing; there are beautiful dresses, balls, sieges, stolen kisses and DUELS. Who doesn’t love reading about a good old-fashioned duel? The story flows beautifully and I was so reluctant to ever put this book down (gosh darn those university interruptions).

With such an amazing premise, I was hoping for brilliant characters as well. And I was rewarded! Kestrel Trajan, our leading lady, is a character I would love to meet in the real world. Her passion in everything she does, especially playing the piano, is incredible. I’ve been going through books where the main character has irritated me at least once and I can say without any doubt this did not happen with Kestrel. She is such a strong character, and I don’t mean that in the sense that she is a skilled fighter. Kestrel is strong as she uses her mind to find the best possibly outcome, which is especially needed as a general’s daughter, and I really admire her for that.

And then there is Arin. DEAR GOD ARIN.  Where does one get an Arin? Surely I’m not the only one asking! He is just as passionate as Kestrel, and just wants to do what he believes is best for his people, the Herrani. And I can’t fault him at all in this. With the slavery of Herrani people, Arin is trying to find everyone’s freedom.

This places Kestrel and Arin on opposite sides yet an affection or fondness develops between the two, which gradually grows and blooms into something more. This had to be my favourite aspect of the book. The fact that the attraction between the two is slow going really lets the characters learn more about each other.

That ending though, my heart was screaming at me! All those feels were getting to me!

I cannot wait for the next installment and am eager to try anything else by Marie Rutkoski! A fabulous 5 out of 5 stars.


Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing for this review copy in exchange for my honest review.

Also shout out to Kat from Cuddlebuggery whose enthusiasm for the book really made me want to read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment