Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Review: Sometimes It Lasts by Abbi Glines

Hello Everyone

Title: Sometimes It Lasts

Author: Abbi Glines

Publisher: Simon and Schuster Australia

Add To Goodreads

Buy on Amamzon


Author Website


Goodreads Synopsis

Cage York has to choose between a love of the game and a love of the girl in this sultry Sea Breeze novel from New York Times bestselling author Abbi Glines.


Cage York finally has everything he ever wanted.

And Eva is at the very top of that list;the perfect girl with a temper as hot as her fabulously flawless body. But for Cage, a baseball scholarship has always been a close second. So when Cage finally gets his chance, he and Eva must endure a long distance relationship and all the dangerous temptations that come with it. Temptations that former bad boy Cage York may not be able to escape.

Then after receiving some illicit photos that show Cage has been behaving bald, very badly, Eva finds solace in the comforting arms of her insanely attractive neighbor Jeremy, who vows that he will take care of Eva in ways Cage never could. It's an offer that may be too good for Eva to turn down

Review

4 Amazing Stars!!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster Australia for the review copy I received for my honest review.

Abbi Glines is an author that I would read absolutely anything by. Whenever I need a pick me up or just want to read something that I know will make me smile I go to my Abbi Glines shelf and I have my pick of amazing books. I absolutely adored While It Lasts, the first Cage and Eva book and now I’m kicking myself for not picking up Sometimes It Lasts sooner!

While It Lasts was a fantastic emotional rollercoaster so I was originally slightly worried that Sometimes It Lasts wouldn’t live up to the high standards I had for Cage and Eva. It seems like I was worried for no reason! I am happy to note that I was not disappointed with the overall book. I have to say though I do prefer the American covers. I just like having the sexy people on my cover-is that so bad? (I’m sure I’m not the only one). The black and white Australian covers are still nice and they do look nice on my shelf but I do want specific American covers (SIL, Because of Low and Breathe).

The first thing I have to say is CAGE. He is that guy, the one you read about and are just like YES GIVE HIM TO ME NOW. Cage is beautiful and caring and oh so vulnerable.  He was able to gain a full scholarship to play baseball, and to follow his dream. However this means he has to stay away from Eva for periods at a time due to unforeseen circumstances. This pushes Cage to the limit since the only real place he wants to be is with Eva. I saw quite a bit of character growth from Cage, though not so much that he loses that sinful mouth of his.  He seemed to really be making an effort with being the man he thinks Eva deserves.  The situation, which hurts our lovely couple, I believed, was not entirely his fault, even if he does blame himself (and others seem to blame him too). One of the reasons why this wasn’t a 5 star read for me was that everyone seemed to forget what hell Cage himself had been through and ultimately took the side of Eva. I felt as though the problems and trust issues he had from his mother was overshadowed by the abandonment issues Eva had due to the loss she has suffered, which I saw as unfair.

Another point that made SIL a 4 star read was Eva. Don’t get me wrong I still love this girl, however I just didn’t really see any growth from her-with her characterisation. I did feel that in the end she did own up to her part of the trouble caused by the issue (I won’t spoil). I did like, however, that in the beginning I did see promise that Eva had slightly changed her ways. All together I still think Eva is an amazing character that has gone through more than her fair share of heartache and loss in her short lifetime. On a little side note, I also loved that her relationship with Jeremy was still strong for the fact that I often see characters that have shared the same loss as the main character often are left behind but this wasn’t the case in SIL.

The tender moments between the couple are absolutely beautiful and Abbi Glines had ensured that we get the all the hot feelings from her writing. The story that flowed through these pages is ultimately, (from how I took it) about trust. Trusting your partner does not come easily for characters with backgrounds such as Cage and Eva, both have had to deal with betrayal or loss from those they love which had changed they way they trust others. As the story progressed I never felt that it dragged on or was slow, I was anxious to keep reading. I actually finished this book in a whole day without getting up (even though I was meant to be studying-oops!).

From every Sea Breeze novel I read I always love seeing our gang of friends coming together. It was fantastic to read about Amanda, Preston, Sadie, Jax (Even if he isn’t present in the book), Dwayne, Trisha, Rock (what a teddy bear, when you read SIL you’ll understand what I mean) and especially Marcus and Low. Having them all together just adds a happy element to the story.

Abbi Glines has wowed me again with another stellar book. I absolutely cannot wait to see what comes next from this talented author.


*Also if you are in Australia, Abbi Glines will be at the Fictionally Yours, Melbourne-Author Invasion event!! All details here:

No comments:

Post a Comment