Thursday, 6 February 2014

Review: Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Hi Everyone!

I am starting to catch up with all my netgalley books so those reviews will be interspersed between my reviews of new books. Today is Speechless


Title: Speechless

Author: Hannah Harrington

Publisher: HarlequinTeen Australia/HarlequinTeen

Review copy provided through netgalley for an honest review.

Add to Goodreads

Buy on Amazon

Author Website

Goodreads Synopsis:

Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself


Review



Speechless is the second book I have read by author Hannah Harrington and definitely lived up to the high expectations I had since Saving June was a high 4 star read for me. Speechless is an amazing, deep, emotional read of a book and I loved every minute of it! It met and surpassed the expectations that I had.

The cover I own has the image of a teenage girl with the tape across her mouth with the title “Speechless” written across it. I have to say the cover really did fit the plot of the book in a unique way, however I did feel that it was a little plain but still interesting enough that if I had never heard of it I would still pick it up to find out what it’s about.

I absolutely adore the plot as it really showed a real interpretation of teen life. Chelsea is in the popular crowd and would do anything to stay there, including tell her supposed best friend all the secrets that she finds out. Even the one where, at a party, she found two buys kissing, one of which was a peer at her school. That secret is out of her mouth and into the wild without any regard for the consequences-consequences which involves someone ending up in the hospital. Noting how she inevitable caused this, Chelsea enforces a self-imposed vow of silence. The plot isn’t the most elaborate but Hannah Harrington definitely has a way with words as you could feel the emotion just pouring off the page. Chelsea’s guilt, the beautiful relationship between Andy and Noah-one of their scenes made me tear up and the sweet romance between Sam and Chelsea. And who could forget the amazingness that is Asha, what a sweetheart!!

This novel had to deal with a lot of tough and common issues, one of which is bullying. I though the author handled this topic brilliantly. There was no sugar coating and I could easily picture some of these events happening in real high schools. As in the crude language the ‘popular’ individuals use against those who are deemed beneath them, the backstabbing of people who are supposed to be friends, and also how easy it is to want to stay at the top because you are afraid of what will happen to you if you don’t.

Chelsea, our leading lady was definitely unlikeable in the beginning-which was, I thought, exactly what the author intended. Why would we want to like someone who seems to have a stuck up personality who doesn’t care about the privacy of others? But that’s the beauty of this book; you really get to see amazing character growth. It really shows the strong will of Chelsea to go to the police after she finds out what her own actions have unintentionally caused. And I could not even last a day without talking so good on her for sticking to her guns! However even though it was the premise of the book, I found that a teenager would undertake a vow of silence is a bit unbelievable but it was easy to set that aside and enjoy the story. The more we go through the story the more I liked Chelsea. She blossomed into a new, kind character that even though she was getting picked on herself she would try and help others. I adored her friendship with Asha, it was really sweet!

Now to Sam, our love interest. And yes I say “our” because I love him as well. He is not the bad boy, he is not the jerk. Sam is the nice guy, the sweet and charming one who you can’t help but fall in love with. He is so far off the YA boys I have been reading lately it was like a breath of fresh air! Starting off as art partners which turned into wary friends, which blossomed into a sweet romance.

Now I have to say my favourite part of Speechless is with Andy and Noah. I won’t say because I’d rather you experience it yourself. But this scene was sweet and beautiful and I absolutely loved it.

Hannah Harrington has written a beautiful book which I really enjoyed; I hope to read more from her soon!’

5 out of 5 stars all the way!

2 comments:

  1. A lovely review Pavan! To be honest I wasn't too keen on reading this book but your review has really changed my mind; I love books which show significant character growth and this sounds like it was done well.

    Thank-you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much Sharon! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

      Delete