Friday, 24 January 2014

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Title: Pivot Point

Author: Kasie West

Publisher: HarperCollins Australia/HarperTeen

Add to Goodreads

Buy on Amazon

Author Website

Goodreads Synopsis

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

Review

Pivot Point is the first book I have read by author Kasie West and I am seriously kicking myself for not reading it earlier. All over Twitter I have been seeing gushing tweets about Pivot Point but honestly even though the blurb was intriguing, the cover just didn’t pull me in enough to really bump it up on my “To Be Read” list. The cover isn’t misleading or bad, in fact it does accurately represent the book, but I wasn’t drawn to it.

The cover aside, I did really love the story line. The tale told between these 343 pages was a unique one. Living in a Compound with people who, like her, have special abilities is Addison (Addie) Coleman. Her special ability is to be able to, when faced with a choice, see the future of both paths of that choice. This ability certainly comes in handy when facing the tough decision of who to live with when her parents’ divorce. The path of choosing each parent is seen through alternating chapters, which thankfully wasn’t confusing. With the way Kasie West has written each chapter the reader clearly know what path they are reading.

Addie, our main character, is a bit hard to review for me. In the beginning of the book I just wasn’t connecting with her. She was just a bit ‘meh’ for me but I was hoping I would grow to like her through the book. This sort of happened. The chapters where Addie chooses to live with her father showed a lot of growth in her character, as well as her willingness to give her new “Normal” life a shot. And I just loved her interactions with Trevor whom she dubbed as her new best friend-which at that point I kind of stared at my book thinking “Are you crazy girl, you want that boy to only be your best friend? Actually that’s fine, give him to me”. But then reading the chapters where Addie chose to live with her mother and started rebelling and changing herself with Duke I felt as though she was taking giant leaps back. The end did see Addie maturing to the stage where she wasn’t in fact thinking of herself with her choices but for which future would be best for everyone.

Now onto our love interest. Now I say ‘interest’ because I did not like Duke and chose not to see him as the real love interest for Addie-I will get back to this later.

Addie meets the cute, charming, swoon-worthy Trevor when her father convinces her to go to a football game with him to make some friends. Off the bat I knew I liked Trevor. He had this laid back, feel-good attitude towards him that instantly attracted me towards his character. It also helped that he was wearing cowboy boots-cowboy boots always help. Their friendship grows and then their relationship blossoms which I loved reading. Addie and Trevor really got to know each other instead of diving straight into a relationship. Trevor, poor guy, has had to deal with the ending of his football career before it even started. However this doesn’t diminish his spirit-except for a few moments which is entirely understandable. Trevor has definitely made the list of my favourite book boyfriends!

Duke. Hmm, where to start with Duke. He has the ability of Telekinesis, the ability to move objects with his mind, which is how we first meet him as his football (he is the football star of Addie’s high school) hits Addie on the head. Ouch right? Duke has this confidence with I perceived as cockiness with a dash of arrogance and I really just didn’t like him. I thought he was too smarmy in the way he chased after Addie. And then I didn’t like him for other reasons in the book which I cannot say.

The side characters are also very important within this novel, as one of them is the essential villain of the story! I have to say that I didn’t see the twist of a particular character happening. I REFUSE TO SPOIL, but I want to so bad so I can discuss with people! Addie’s best friend Laila wasn’t the most likable character for me as the book progressed. She had her moments when she was working in the best interest of helping her friend but other times it just looked like she wasn’t very interest in her best friend’s struggle, however after reading the whole novel I did forgive her a bit as it wasn’t entirely her fault.  If you are going to read Pivot Point, go in with an open mind about Laila.

All and all, Kasie West has written an amazing story which I know that I will be re-reading as soon as I get the chance because I positively adore the world she has created. I absolutely cannot wait for Split Second!!

4 out of 5 stars-a brilliant book!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to see you blogging Pavan :-) and even more pleased that you enjoyed Pivot Point! I completely agree with everything you mentioned, so excited for Split Second.

    A lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon!! And thank you for the follow :)

      Delete